View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,078 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
Some friends just purchased a 40 x 26 ft seasonal camp. Built on piers and no insulation or heat other than a fireplace. They are looking to extend the seasonal usage a bit. April to Dec maybe? Exploring options to insulate floor and feel I have a good handle on that but what do folks that have a similar situation feel is best simple cost effective heat system. Floor plan is pretty open so I was thinking a couple of wall mounted propane blower units. Something like the mini split I have in my house but for heat only. Anything else they should be thinking about?There would be a total shutdown for the real cold months.
Insulate really well and go with the mini split. I would do spray foam at least under the floor. If you just have dirt under the cabin and you use fiberglass under the floor it will capture the moisture and get full of mildew, mold, and critters.
Ideally you would foam the whole place but that's very expensive.
I have a full crawl space under my house with a full cement floor, about 3 1/2 ft high. The only thing down there is my boiler.
When I bought the place it had fiberglass insulation in the floor that was wet and moldy. I took that all down and had all the walls spray foamed, best money I ever spent!
If the house is on posts then you just do the floor.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post: