View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #24
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Been NRZ for about 20 years.

This area has been a no rafting zone since before my Dad passed away, and that was in 1988. I'm guessing that it would have been more in the early to mid 80's. When on vacation, we would go down to the "Sand Bar" and would have anywhere from 2 to as many as 8 or 10 boats rafted together. Everyone had kids or grandkids, no stereos blaring, and a respect for each others boats and the neighboring boats and landowners. When the no rafting came in, the marine patrol would come by on a regurlar basis, and were quite firm but fair, and tell you if it appeared the boats were too close. They didn't particularly care who was there first, just wanted to see the proper space between boats. Most boaters would be accommadating, a few gave out the lip service, and got repaid with a ticket.

We keep our boat at West Alton, and aside from an early in the day swim, or very late in the evening, we prefer to go out to deeper water and swim. A little more difficult with the grandkids, but we make do. Don't have to put up with someone trying to run over your anchor rope that way.