View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #17
RyanDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In the original thread, I think you mentioned larger islands: Bear, Rattlesnake and Cow? If that's correct, then that crosses a lot of home port (martinas) off the list of places you want to start from. On a huge island like Bear, there are several home ports depending on which end of the island you might be interested in. Are there any camps for sale there? The idea of asking a Realtor early in the process applies here too. Let your Realtor help plan your route. If you're going to go slow and look at camps, docks, water depth, solar orientation, topography, etc. you could spend most of a day just on one island, allowing time to transit in both directions.

The Sophie C and other tour boats suggestion is superb. But the Sophie doesn't go near Cow or Rattlesnake. She'll give you a great view of Bear and many of the (smaller) Gilford Islands. Did I read somewhere that you have small children? 6-8 hours on a small boat can be a long time, and for all crew members you may need a relief stop even if you don't go to a restaurant for lunch. I've been on the lake all my life, and I still enjoy a ride on the Mount Washington. Check her schedule. You can ride, stop for awhile and get back on for her second tour to take you back to the starting point. Lunch and potty on board. Highly recommend.

The suggestion about going after Labor Day may allow you to negotiate a better rental rate. After Labor Day, weekends are a lot less busy too.

Yeah, we're interested in the islands but we've only ever been on the shore of the lake so we want to get a feel of the lake to see if we both like it. If that makes sense. Assuming we do we'll start to narrow our search and explore the areas that interest us but our first go around will be a general get to know the late excursion.

We have kids but they're staying home, that's why we're going during the week so we can go alone. I wouldn't want to drag them along at first, too much work.

We're thinking Friday Aug 19th, not a holiday weekend but it should give us a feel for how busy the lake feels on average. We're leaning towards the morning sophie cruise but that's only two hours on the lake which isn't great since we have the entire day and want to make the most of it.
RyanDe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyanDe For This Useful Post: