View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #44
Woodsy

APS...

Is that the accident where the mechanic "forgot" to use the safety lanyard? I do know that was Donzi... 22ZX. Forgot to use the lanyard, got ejected from the boat while driving it at approximately 70MPH during a test drive and ended up getting run over by the boat. That accident occured in 1997. Almost 9 years ago! The article you mention was about the lawsuit brought by the family stating that the boat was defective.

Jefe knows how to handle his boat, He did not do anything inherently unsafe. I know you don't know him, but I can and will stand up for Jefe. He did turn that boat as tight as it would turn. It did not hook, or roll or do anything other than turn. Why? because he did it in a safe manner. He is one of those that likes to know EXACTLY what his boat will do in an emergency situation.

Certain stepped hull boats can "Spin Out" or hook as it is called. There is actually some pretty simple reasoning behind it. In simplistic terms the step in the hull allows air to free the hull up from the water, increasing the speed of the boat. This is all well and good until you turn. It used to be with Hi-performance boats, you would lower your nose (trim in) and turn. This was the safest method of turning on non-step hull boats. With a step hull, the opposite is true. You need to trim the nose up, then turn. The air under the boat from the steps causes the rear of the boat to have less friction than the front. If the front suddenly has more friction than the rear, the rear end try to pass the front, hence the spin out or hook.

Thats why alot of these type accidents are written up as "Operator Inexperience". Had the guy known how to drive his boat properly, he would not have spun it out.

Woodsy

Last edited by Woodsy; 01-17-2006 at 12:38 PM.