Thread: New PWC owner
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #18
jetskier

Post Mo' Advice

Hi CloseTZguy et al,

I have been riding PWCs on the lake for over 30 years...yup, back to the stand up days. ....and I own a 2002 GTX 4-Tec (155) which you probably also now own. So, some thoughts:
  • I absolutely hate the OPAS (off power assisted steering)...it does not work particularly well and messes up the handling of the PWC. If you have this, I can tell you how to disable it. I have mine disabled and the PWC is much more predictable.
  • A few safety pointers: First, a PWC is the smallest craft on the lake and many boaters tend to disregard the fact that it is necessary to treat them as boats. You will be cut off, overrun even as the stand-on boat etc... keep your head on a swivel and always be prepared to make avoidance maneuvers...dead and correct is a bad deal.
  • Never ever put your hand into the intake grate to pull out an obstruction without disconnecting the battery first.
  • I put a whistle on each life vest...you have to have an audible alert device, but it does not help if it is in the storage compartment and you fall off.
  • The idea of having a fire extinguisher on a PWC is interesting...it is required....but if you catch on fire, swim away....yes, I have seen it happen.
  • The GTX 4-Tec 155 has a special safety lanyard which limits the top speed...a good idea if your kids are going to be driving (and are legal).

I have found the GTX 4-tec to be quite reliable and a good match for lake riding. I would do the basic maintenance - there is really not much.

Most of all - have fun!!!

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post: