View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 PM   #38
MikeF-NH

I think F&G could do something about it but am not sure they are inclined to spend the man hours with an already understaffed force to deal with it.

For starters, they could drop in to places like Merideth and Alton Bay and provide "education services". This would involve telling shanty owners that this year we are taking coordinates and ownership details and fining people for trash left on their coordinates. The fine doesn't have to happen and is probably unenforceable but it may reduce the issue.

As for the 2x4s - maybe they could criminalize using anything that floats as runners to keep shanties above the ice. Cinder blocks or better yet...rocks would sink and might be a better solution. If they didn't want to criminalize 2X4s then require that they be rendered to 1 foot sections via a chain saw before leaving the site.

I ice fish and will be unpopular for saying this but I'd like to see those season long shanties banned. People can use them but no overnight stays. Portables would fit the need and by having everyone mobile it would stop the bickering over who owns the ice and would stop a lot of this season-long littering that seems compulsive. It will never happen because of the "tradition" but even threatening the legislation and spreading the word may get some of these litter bugs to start policing themselves to save their pastime. I look at it this way....having a shanty all winter on the ice is a privilege and one that can be taken away if this can't be stopped.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post: