View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #35
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts
Default This was my FB rant on our club page

Here is the link to our FB pagehttps://www.facebook.com/MoultonboroSMC. I got a little testy yesterday:

I am a little frustrated this AM. I was talking to someone who overheard a conversation at a local restaurant that went something like this:
Customer (on sleds) "The trails in Moultonboro are in terrible shape"
Bartender- "They never groom here"

Perhaps I should stop waking up at 2AM Friday and Sat nights to "never groom here"! We have a dedicated group of volunteers who get out and work hard to make our trails some of the best out there. No one gets paid a dime to do so. We groomed both weekend nights, but had a ton of people out on the trails both Sat and Sunday.

To Don Lemien, Brian Davis, Carl and Terri Eichhorn, Eric Erving, Dave Hicks, Liz Wagner, Vic Jones, Adam Baker, Pete Keenan, Bob Baker, Brian Coutu, Jack Bishop, Rob Lincoln and Cliff Fell- thank you for grooming!

Please understand that grooming is not dropping the drag and going- there is science behind the process. The drag has cutter bars that roll and heat the snow as it passes from front to back where the pan flattens and smooths it. The operator is constantly adjusting the drag to pull snow and flatten moguls to make a good surface without pushing snow off the trail. For best results, the snow "sets up" for 2-6 hours before traffic hits it. The set time is critical because that heated snow needs to refreeze or the moguls we just worked out quickly come back. That is why we try to groom overnight (and why you see groomers parked during the day).

Rant over- enjoy the trails!!

John Harrington, President MSC
VitaBene is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post: