View Single Post
Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
MikeF-NH

dont think your boat will have a problem getting from LI to Forty Islands on most mornings. I'm less concerned about traffic and keep a closer eye on wind. Anything over 15 mph blowing out of Center Harbor or up from the Broads can make that trip challenging in a smallish tin boat. Of course you have the option to tuck in behind Bear Island for some protection (a little longer ride but more protected). 90% of the time I have no reservations about taking my 16 footer from WAM to to Long Island even on weekends. It can get bumpy due to wakes but the Broads spreads things out a bit....nothing like some of the action you see closer to Weirs. Just keep your eyes open and don't be afraid to ease off the throttle if a big wake is heading your way. Always we willing to change your destination if things look dicey. I always have a plan B closer to where I launch if I don't like what I see and never feel badly about changing course. Remember also that you have to get back so if conditions deteriorate....pack it in before its too late.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post: