View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Yesterday, I was traveling east-south-east between Governor's Island and Stonedam Island at about 26 MPH in my motor boat. I was on a collision course with a motor boat traveling south west toward the channel between Governor's Island and Eagle Island (coming from the Bear Island direction) at a similar speed. The other boat was off my port bow, so mine was the stand-on vessel. I maintained course and speed as required. The other vessel did the same despite the fact that there was plenty of time and space to change his course a few degrees to west and end the collision course early and easily. Many seconds passed with no change is speed or course by the other boat and just as I was getting ready to take evasive action, the other vessel slowed down and dropped off-plane with about 200 feet separation. I was thinking "that's not how I would have handled it, but OK, he did what he had to do be legal and safe". The other operator then flung his hands up in disgust that was obviously aimed toward me as though I'd done something wrong.

With the requirement that all boat operators have a boating certificate in place for the past few years in NH, it's amazing to see that there are some people that don't seem to understand the very basics. It ain't rocket surgery.
When I'm on my boat, I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere (unless I'm trying to beat a thunderstorm, but that's another story). As such, I try to avoid any and all situations that would cause any anxiety or conflict...i just want to relax and enjoy.
I had a friend on my boat 2 weekends ago who told me he was considering getting his own pontoon boat and asked me what I considered to be the primary and most important rules of the road while boating. I've posted these rules before, I will post them again. I live by these rules.

1. I never, ever have the right of way, I will gladly give way to any other boat or boater no matter how we may be converging.
2. When in doubt, refer to rule # 1.

Stay happy, and safe.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post: