View Single Post
Old 05-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
boat_guy64

Default Learning the lake

This is my opinion

1. Buy the Bizer map
2. Plan a trip to a different part of the lake on each outing. Plan where you want to go the night before the trip.
3. Learn the major islands. (Rattlesnake, Welch, Governors, Bear, Long). They are a great guide to knowing where you are and where the danger is.
4. At then end of the first year, you easily be able to get from Meredith to Wolfeboro to Alton without looking at your map or feeling in danger.
4. If you aren't comfortable, stop, pull out the map and figure out where you are at.
5. Don't follow other boats.....you'll be shocked how many people don't know where they are going. (and sometimes what you get away with in July won't work in October as the lake level goes down)

It isn't as hard as people say it is to learn this lake. After several years and well over 1000 hours on this lake, I rarely need to look at my map. However, if I'm somewhere I don't spend a lot of time, I slow down and have my map in my hand.

You don't look dumb, stopping and reading your map. You do look dumb sitting on a pile of rocks.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boat_guy64 For This Useful Post: