View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #16
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumGuy
"...There are good boaters, just like good drivers, of all ages. Anyone who has spent any amount of time on the water should agree that an incindent can occur even with the utmost care. It is inattention, lack of concern, alcohol, or all of the above that seriously compound the risk. actually, some of the older boaters are actually MORE careful due to their experience on the water..."
I don't consider myself an older boater, but I do appreciate experience much more now than when I was a 30-something.

Of course, it helped to build and operate three wood boats on Winnipesaukee. (Though they're light and fast, you don't play "bumper cars" with wooden boats).

Today, a boater can be handed the keys and not be required to take a vision test (or a night-vision test). If his guests get wet, he buys a bigger boat. The responsibility should ramp up with size. When it doesn't, it makes headlines.

Inattention is the likely cause here. Though most "news media" reports of collisions "drop-off" from the Internet (and Google), there are dozens of accounts still being maintained on Internet forums of boats colliding with anchored boats, their anchor lines -- and even motionless Jet-Skis. The "close calls" don't make it to the news.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote