View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #108
jeffk

Default For some, maybe that is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I could be wrong, but I feel that the success of a restaurant is more dependent on the quality of the food and to a somewhat lesser degree, the location and the actual building itself. You could have the most beautiful building in the finest location, but if your food sucks, you're not long for the chopping block. Of course, there are many exceptions, but I feel that the food is what will really have the biggest effect on success. Returning diners and word of mouth advertising are key.
But I would point out a restaurant right around the corner from The Woodshed, Buckeys. There have been several restaurants at that location since I bought my house in 1993 and most lasted only a couple years. Buckeys is a rousing success. While I enjoy eating there from time to time the food is nothing outstanding. One or two of the previous restaurants had somewhat better food, IMO. So why is Buckeys packed on weekends? Location? Moultonborough is up at the far end of the lake. It probably does draw locals because of reasonable prices. But it's a combination of a lot of factors.

There was just something about the Woodshed. When the owners got the food and management right, the place could be stellar. When they didn't, it was disappointing but people kept coming back, hoping for improvement. Recapturing that "something" would be almost impossible in a new building and the location would reduce the "visible new thing" factor.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote