View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Piston

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice!

As mentioned by someone, Alton lumber doesn't deal with trusses. However, they were able to give me the names of some places that did, one was Brock's lumber in Rochester and the other was Middleton lumber.

I called Brocks Lumber yesterday and they told me to call back on Monday as the guy who could help me was out for the weekend, so I'll call them back tomorrow and get a rough price estimate. I will also call Middleton for comparison.

According to the link posted, I will need to obtain a permit to build the permanent carport since I'll be drilling holes in the ground to set the posts. If I decide to go this route, I'll call the building inspector as mentioned. I have spoken with him in the past about projects I had been thinking about and he was extremely helpful for me. I was a bit nervous at first to ask questions because of all the bad "wrap" building inspectors seem to get, but I'm glad I did and I know have a different view of building inspectors in general, and I don't have any hesitation to ask questions anymore.

I'll be interested to see how much the trusses are going to cost, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. For the most part, the cost will determine what I end up doing, whether it's the permanent structure or the portable garage. Next will be the time consideration. I'll know more once I get a quote for the trusses.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote