View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Greene's Mansion

Back in the late 60's my dad was a builder of fine homes. He was contracted to replace most of the roof at the Greene's Mansion on Long Island.

I spent many days helping my dad replace the roof. I had a chance to explore the house with permission from the caretaker at the time. The furniture, decor, etc send me back to the late 1800's, early 1900's. The mansion had quite the story to tell.

An elderly woman was living in the house at the time, I can't recall what was her relationship to the house, but the stories she told were unbeleivable. I wish I had taped them as I faintly remember some of them.

The carriage house or barn had a collection of coaches and buggies. I beleive one of the coach was built by Concord coach. What was unique was it can be converted to a sled for the winter.

There was also a beautiful Packard limosine. The story I heard that it was once used by President Franklin Roosevelt as a personal vehicle during a visit.

I visit Land's End and it is gated. The question I have is the mansion and surrounding buildings still standing and in good shape? What are they being use for? Are the furniture and fixtures still there? Does the carriage house still have the coaches, buggies and car? All they all gone?

Thanks.