View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
On Sunday, 7/21 around 3:30pm: heading north just past Buzzell Cove in Moultonborough Bay, and moving into the marked channel near lighted buoy #14: We were overtaken (duh: WE had the right of way) by not less than 3 boneheads-in boats, and on Seadoos - one boat and one Seadoo (with woman and child) were less than 50 feet from our boat. I really am continually stunned by the stupidity and arrogance of the boaters on the lake. Honk your horn at them and these idiots wave, no less. Give me a break.
Although I do not condone breaking the 150 foot rule, I think the channel between Buzzell and Suissevale is OKAY within a respectable manner. Kind of hard to define, but as we know that is not a no-wake zone (nor do I ever think it should be). I have overtaken boats in that channel (likely within 150 feet), however have done so respectfully. I usually wait until we hit Ambrose cove where it widens up and go wide. Marine Patrol used to be notorious for hanging out in that channel knowing it was not a no-wake zone but pulling people over anyway. I still notice them in there frequently, however, they're a lot more considerate and it appears they're just monitoring the traffic now.

Yesterday, around the same time I came in through there and got gas at Ambrose Cove. On the voyage back to Suissevale I didn't go much more than a no-wake speed as my crew was just enjoying the day hanging out on the boat. I was overtaken by three boats and two jet skis (within 150ft, likely well within 100 feet) but I didn't take offense as I hugged the red markers to try and give them plenty of space. There was no oncoming traffic heading out to Moultonboro Bay so I felt they were well within their rights and not causing me an issue as I would have just slowed them up.

Needless to say, there's been PLENTY of times where I do not agree, but in some cases I think it is appropriate/okay. Unfortunately, the area you speak about it happens extremely frequently.