View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #44
Aldidonato

I have a boat rental contract in front of me. There is no deductible stated. There is a damage deposit of $500 at the time the rental is picked up, and the renter is responsible for ALL additional damage costs to the boat. That is acceptable and understandable to me.

What troubles me is liability coverage and responsibility. I don't necessarily mind paying for damage to the boat I am renting, but in the case of damage or injury to others, the worst case being serious injury or death, I might be sued for millions, and that troubles me. In my mind the purpose of insurance is to protect against the big things, not the small things.

That is why I ask the question as to what are the dollar limits for coverage in the insurance paid for by the marina and for the benefit of the marina/boat owner.

The information alluded to by Anchor says they have insurance that protects their customers. I have spoken to Anchor directly and the answer as to what that really means was not provided. Their response was they have never had such a situation in all their years of renting, and that if everybody stayed 150 feet away from everything, I would be fine. I have called several other local marinas and insurance agencies to get a meaningful, specific answer. The responses I received indicate to me that none of them know the answer or they just don't want to tell me.