View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I don't think they needed to respond to my general question with specific policy information. If you want to know the amount of coverage why don't you contact them and ask them instead of speculating?
I have put in an inquiry to Anchor to find out how much liability insurance they carry on their rental boats. I will post their response when it arrives.

My point in responding to your comment was to inform folks that being told that someone carries liability insurance in itself is meaningless. It depends upon how much coverage an individual carries. For example, recently in the Boston Globe there was a multi-day article about the cab companies in Boston and how they are only required to carry $10,000 and $20,000 in liability insurance by the city of Boston. What this means is their liability is limited to $10,000 per person per accident capped at $20,000 per accident. The article went on to highlight numerous accidents that occurred in Boston over the years and how people who were injured or families of people who were killed were essentially out of luck when tragedy struck. As a result of the article, it appears the city will change the requirement for minimum liability insurance to a more meaningful number.

Finally, given the cost of liability insurance my educated guess is that many of the boat rental businesses on the lake carry scaled back coverage that will do little to protect you should you injure one of your passengers or someone in another boat. I don't mean to speculate, rather I am trying to inform folks of the risks they face when renting a boat and my point is the risks far exceed the cost of the boat itself.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote