View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #46
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The technician notice a weak signal at the outside box. He says the underground cable needs to be upgraded from the box to the pole. They are not responsible for that and suggested the association replace it. Of course the association says nada.

Anyway, I will bring the router in and request a new one.
While it won't hurt to try another modem/router, I doubt that is your problem. The last technician most likely called it. I had the same issue at my last house. Once we replaced the underground cable, the signal problems went away. Luckily our underground lines were in conduit and it was relatively easy to pull a new line through.

How old are the lines in your association? If 20 years or so, they are most likely RG59 or similar, which was the standard at the time. Most modern systems now need RG6 or better to function well.

Also, on the comments about splitters, yes, every split degrades the signal. If you split too many times, you can degrade the signal enough that you need an amplifier. But all this requires testing tools that are beyond the cost reach of most consumers.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post: