View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So here is the thing about associations, they are only as good as the people that get involved allow them to be. I own a condo in Mass. and on of the problems is getting people involved. And I am sure it is no different in NH. The more people that are involved the more voices that are heard, the more effectively the money is spent.

Now BH brought up a very good point, about boards listening to people... IMHO what makes a board work is having members that recognize each others strong and weak points. I am personally on my Condo board, and while I don't speak up on Legal and beautification issues, I do speak up on Engineering and technical issue. The rest of the board understands that this is my strong point and listen... Sure it took a little time to earn their trust but I did... So now just like I don't question legal and beautification issue they don't question my technical expertise... But to find a good mix on our board has taken time... and unfortunately their haven't always been enough people involved.

If you are looking to buy into an association, do your homework. Attend a board meeting, review financial etc. Make sure you know what your getting into.. Also most importantly make sure the association is planning for the future.