View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Let us not forget the hero's who died 71 years ago today (December 7th 1941..."A day which will live in infamy") in the horrific surprise attack at Pearl Harbor. As time marches on and age claims many who lived through this event, may those of us who survive never forget the sacrifices made that day nor the war that would ensue. Today, Japan is thankfully one of our closest allies....a testimony to how people can forgive but never forget. May all who gave the ultimate sacrifice rest in eternal peace.
Whenever I find myself in the presence of a Veteran, whether it be at an airport, restaurant or mall, if the time is right, I make a point to approach them, look them in the eye's and quietly and respectfully thank them for their service. I love to do it. It give's me a chill every time and I especially love when I'm with my son's and they see me do it. On several occasions, when at a restaurant, I have picked up their tab without them knowing.

I love to see the old timers wearing the Veteran hat on their head or a jacket with the pins etc. If they're with their spouse or other family member, I make a point to thank them for their sacrifice as well.

I can only begin to imagine the places they've been, the hardships they've endured and things that they've seen through their eyes.