View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #40
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up Thanks for the info.

Not to break our 6 year tradition we took our ATV's down to a hunting camp to have our Thanksgiving Dinner. Saturday, yesterday, was the day I had decided to smoked our turkey.
After soaking the bird for over 24 hours it went into the smoker yesterday at 5am. I smoked the bird for the whole day but as the temps started dropped around 3pm and the wind picked up the temp started dropping in the smoker. So with the bird at 160 at 5pm I put it in the oven for the last hour to finish it off.
I have never in my life had a more juicy flavorful bird, and that smoke flavor was completely through the whole of the breast.
Even this morning as I was taking the meat off and prepping the bird for the soup pan it was still full of juices unlike the day after dry meat we usually have.
I will never cook another turkey without soaking it in brine first, what a great idea.
Today, Sunday it was 24 at 5am and it has dropped to 23 and the winds and snow have been howling all night.
The ground is white up here in northern Maine, glad we are staying till tomorrow instead of fighting all that traffic on the roads today.
I hope everyone else had a great experience with their Thanksgiving meal.