View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #567
TheNoonans

Default Skydive Laconia

Hi RLW!

Thank you for the inquiry. Admittedly, I haven't been able to update much lately, as there hasn't been much to update in terms of news. And I didn't want anyone accusing me of posting replies just to keep bumping the thread up and keeping it on the first page.

Let's see, updates.......hmm

On a personal note, I had a great season in Taunton, MA this year with my new dropzone down there. Despite the concerns of a handful of people when we first got there, we have had a pretty much seemless integration into the day to day operations there. It is a truly amazing feeling to have a positive working relationship with the airport commission and airport manager. They call me and I call them, just to check in periodically and see how we all are doing.

Other than that, the big news is that we bought our first plane, a beautifully Cessna 182 which we are ferrying to Daytona Beach at the end of November after I get back from my yearly Everest Skydive expedition which I am leaving for to Kathmandu in a few days.

As for Laconia and the FAA, I've seen the document that will be published shortly. The FAA held off publishing it to do a "Re-proof" for lack of a better term. When it is published, based on what is written, the Laconia Municipal Airport will qualify as a viable location for a PLA (parachute landing area). When that is published, we will resubmit our proposal and the LAA will then have a choice, let us on the airport or they can continue to stand their ground and say no. This time around however if they say no, we will have the full backing of the FAA Compliance division in Washington, DC on our side.

Last but not least, during this process, even in the quiet times, I have maintained my contacts and relationships with all those FAA Directors I worked with in Washington. And somewhere along the line, I got this statement from the FAA: "The LAA has stated that when you approached them they told you no on the areas you requested, but said they offered you to land your parachutes adjacent to the North/South closed runway on the airport.......

Now for all of you that have been following this process since January 2009, has anyone on the LAA or the airport manager ever offered us anywhere to land ON the airport?.........lol. I told the FAA in response, laughingly, that the old airport location that Mary and I were offered to land at by the LAA was ANOTHER airport.....lol.....Moultonborough Airport.......lol

Thanks for checking in, I'll be back with more news as it comes up.

Blue skies to all and to all a good flight,
Tom
TheNoonans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheNoonans For This Useful Post: