Thread: Canoe
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #24
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I don't particularly like Canoe; I want to, but there is usually some little annoyance that turns me off such as the time limit. I have, on occasion, been told when I've made a reservation at a restaurant that there is a time limit and I then choose not to complete the reservation. I would have also been turned off by Canoe's policy of telling you when you arrive.

On the other hand, the sign about the service is honest and well written and this IS the situation up here when many of the servers go back to school. This, by itself, wouldn't have bothered me at all.

On the other hand ( my favorite phrase ), it really would have been annoying to be warned that the service might be slow and then be told there was a time limit. Sort of, "hurry up and eat, but you won't be able to because the service will be slow."
Newbiesaukee, I do agree it can be annoying but look at the other side of the coin. I'm a painter, if I spend an hour or two chatting that is time that I've wasted and not made money.
I dinning establishment that has the kind of turnaround in a tourist area doesn't make money by having guests sit around chatting while others wait at the door. I've always believed if you want to hang around chatting that is what the bar area is for.
I you were the one standing at the door watching a table of people that had eaten and the table was cleared chat it up how would you feel?
INHO that is one big difference between your chains and a high end eating establishment. These are some of the same complaints people have posted about Sandy Point yet they admit they knew that going in.
One thing we usually do when going out with friends is to time our visit to the end of the rush, this usually leaves us with a somewhat empty restaurant to take our time in. Yes we eat later but!