View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #42
Belmont Resident

Default Could not believe the mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
I believe it, the only saving grace for our client was that she shut the water off and it did not have any pressure behind the blockages. Creates an entirely different mess when the water can run.

We had a similar situation for a customer on Tenney Mountain, except it was the washing machine valve that blew on the second floor and it ran for a few days during the summer. Into 6 figures for repair and replacement of furniture.

I don't always turn the main off when going away, but I always close my washer valve!

The pressure coming out of the valve actually took the sheetrock off the walls and ceiling in the laundry closet which backed up to two bathrooms and two different bedroom walls, which also got stripped. Absolutely unbelievable to see and that was just on the second floor. Everything was gutted from the attic insulation to the crawl space.
Fortunately no furniture was destroyed but all the hardwood floors were buckled, some 12” high. Kitchen and bathrooms both had ceramic tiles that will need to be replaced, as mentioned all radiant heating throughout the house and it all burst. The water caused a good portion of the kitchen ceiling to drop.
It is somewhere in the order of a 400K house located just north of Freeport Maine. Anyways it will be a good size paint job for me, but the contractor doing the work wasn’t very happy when my sister in law told him she had a painter in the family but what can you do.