Thread: Got Boats?
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #111
Airpacker

Default Re: My Conclusions

Now let me get this straight. In your point of view, an offshore boat owner is dangerous because his or her boat is big and fast? Get real. The number one cause of death on the water is drowning. Not collision with an "offshore" boat. The number one group of boaters who drown, fisherman in sub 20 foot open boats. The number one cause, intoxication. Thats right, they fall overboard drunk while relieving themselves of all the beer they have ingested while fishing.
Safety is your stated concern? I would be willing to bet that the average "offshore" boat operater has more safety training than the average " cottager" on the water. They have better equipped boats with full compliments of safety and first aid gear. They have far fewer accidents in the first place but that is so easy for you to dismiss as arrogance isn't it. Most "offshore" boaters have one hell of alot of money tied up in their boats and aren't foolish enough to endanger it, themselves, their crews or those around them by recklessly operating their vessels in crowded lakes.
Now, lets talk about the "average" boater who has no formal training,no safety gear or knowledge to use it. Very little knowledge of the rules of the water and how to operate a vessel according to those rules. The kid out in mom and dads runabout, tin boat, canoe or PWC who really has no clue what so ever as to what they are doing or should be doing. The sail boater running under power who thinks that just because they have a sail boat they have the right of way at all times.The cabin cruiser couple who bought the biggest floating condo they could afford from the shiny salesman at the boat show but never got the training to go with it.The weekend boater who thinks a boat is just like a car because it has seats and a steering wheel but figures it ok to drive while impaired because thats what "boating" is all about. Yes, lets talk about safety on the water shall we. You asked for rational debate on the safety issue. I offer it. Please feel free to explain to me how the "offshore" boaters are so dangerous in direct comparison to the "average" boaters on your or any other body of water. Or am I just being too arrogant?
P.S. I own and operate a boat that is capable of running almost 100 mph. I have never had one single incident that could be considered an accident in 25 years of boating.Maybe I am just an "arrogant bully" and anyone who might have been killed by me stayed out of my way because I have an offshore boat? Or could it be that maybe, just maybe I as an "offshore" boater take safety, mine and everyone's around me very very seriously.