View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
bkgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
This sounds like it could be a great App. Reading your spec sheet it appears that full functionality won't be available unless you have a GPS enabled device. Does this mean the iPad must be 3G and not just WiFi? And I guess that it leaves out the iPod Touch.
Yes, and no. The app will work - it will let you view chars, pan, zoom, rotate, etc. But it isn't too much more than a chart viewer. Since it doesn't "know" where you are, it can't show you your distance and heading to waypoint, or draw the chart with your current position at the center, etc.

However - there are a few third-party add-on GPS devices which we are in the process of qualifying to work with it. This means even if you have one of these device, you can clip this little box onto your device, and get full GPS capability with my, or any other iPad/iTouch software. (By "Qualify" - I mean it works will ALL iPad/iTouch apps, and should just work fine with mine, but I haven't physically tried it yet, so don't want to overspeak).

Quote:
When do you think there will be an Android version available
Not exactly sure. I don't write much Android - but there has been a lot of requests - so we may do that.

Quote:
and will that also require 3G for the tablet?
Let me clarify: On Apple's devices, the GPS is built into the same chip that does 3G. Therefore, if you get the model without 3G, you don't get GPS. It's not that it uses or relies on 3G capabilites for anything. So - if a device were to exist that had GPS, but didn't have 3G - that would be fine.

What aboyt the BlackBerry Playbook tablet or BlackBerry Smartphones?[/QUOTE]

I don't know - we are looking into a few options...

Thanks again for your interest!

-BKG
bkgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote