View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101 View Post
I don't feel that it is right to completely ban kids for a restaurant. A designated room is great but ban...Seems a bit harsh. I have 2 young kids and yes we get a babysitter 99% of the time. The other 1% is spent going to the 99 or Applebees, something like that. My kids are well behaved but they are just like any other kid, they can have their moments. As soon as we see a "moment" coming on I take them outside and they are put in timeout until they can behave. Kids aren't going to learn how to act in public if you don't put them in that situation right? If I saw that I was banned from somewhere because I had kids it would put a sour taste in my mouth.
FWIW, while I like 99 and Applebees, I don't consider them high-end eateries, nor do I have high expectations when going there. I personally think those are "family" restaurants and if I go there, I can reasonably expect to encounter children and families.

However, if I go to brunch at the Lakehouse (as an example) I don't expect to see or appreciate a table of adults that are completely ignorant of their offspring running around, getting in the way, sampling food off the buffet with their fingers and similar actions.

I think there is a certain class of restaurant where it's reasonable to expect that children along for the meal would be "seen and not heard". If that place has ongoing problems and a strong demand, I don't think it is unreasonable to set an age limit for their patrons.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that all children be banned from all restaurants.