View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #36
nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I am enjoying reading this thread because when I visited the area last week I went grocery shopping at Shaws in Gilford . Needless to say I was dismayed by both the prices and product selection.

When I returned to NJ I went to Wegman's and realized that would be the one thing I would really miss when I move to Wolfeboro. So I've been strategizing on how I'm going to grocery shop (for one).

The first thing I am going to do is buy a small freezer and put it in the basement. Then I am going down to Costco in Nashua to stock up. (May switch to BJs at some point). I'll probably go to Hunter's IGA (in Wolfeboro) for small items that expire quickly (milk, cold cuts). I plan on having a small food garden on my property and will look into supporting local farms. My strategy is to spend the least amount of money and energy (gas) on good quality foods, while supporting local growers (not grocers). I'm going to pay careful attention to my first few months grocery costs and adjust my strategy accordingly.

BTW- I was told that you can freeze fresh veggies and they will keep for a LONG time. You have to parboil them and then seal.
They are building a Wegman's in Northboro, MA. It opens October 16. From my house in the Gilford/Laconia area-on the weekend without traffic-we can make in just shy of 2 hours. I know Wolfeboro will be longer but perhaps occasional trips to stock up. My husband I will be making monthly trips to stock up. Right now whenever we are in NJ, we bring coolers and stock up in Wegmans because the quality and price is better than the stores up here.

We also buy local and got to Beans and Greens, Moulton Farms and are in the Big Banana CSA for produce that is much better than the food stores up here.

Perhaps once you are settled, you can ride down with me and my husband for one of our monthly excursions. We are counting down the days and are going to the grand opening in October.
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicole For This Useful Post: