View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Rafting

does not seem to be a problem on other lakes. Look at the huge rafting party on Lake Winnisquam off of Mosquito Bridge. Seems like no one is 'killing' each other to warrant a rafting restriction. Newfound Lake has its rafting parties and so do Sunapee and Squam. How about the 'famous' Lake George? They have huge rafting parties. I don't see major complaints.

Seems to me the property owners are overreacting and causing more problems than what it is worth. By initiating no rafting zones, boaters will go elsewhere. Then other property owners will follow suit. Pretty soon the whole lake is a no raft zone. Then a case of boater's rights, property owner's rights and who owns the lake will be taken up in superior court? Don't like to see that happen but I can foresee it in the future.

if there is trouble to be had from a rafting party, the property owner can call the marine patrol. I know they get there pretty quick and break up the party. I know of a number of cases that other parties in a rafting zone call marine patrol on a few rowdies and the MP does a good job of fighting the fire.

Since 1892, my folks realize that boat rafting is a fact of living on the lake. Many folks enjoy rafting in front of the property and rarely do we have a problem with it. It's when these mcMansion owners from the southern states that comes up and think they own the lake. I'm at war mostly with these fat cats than I am with boaters. They think my folks are pee-ons as we don't care for the 'status quo'.
It is funny how they think driving around in their Escalades and using phosphate fertilizers makes them King of the Lake. I beg to differ.