View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #45
ghfromaltonbay

Default Yikes!

I wish I could send you guys some snow up there. Along with 50 mph winds thru the night, we got over 20" of snow here in Clifton. The winds caused drifts up to my shoulders in the driveway. Thank goodness for the 6 hp Ariens snowblower! I started clearing snow around 10 am since it snowed till dawn. My new neighbor came out and since he's probably 25 years younger than I am, he asked if he could help and try out the snowblower. He widened his sidewalk as well, and did my 80' driveway, 50' of sidewalk and the front walk and driveway apron. I think he was having fun with a new toy. I used the shovel to walk ahead and knock down the drifts so the blower wouldn't stall out in too deep snow. The snow was higher than the top of the chute where it had drifted. Got the whole thing + the front and back porches done in 90 minutes. There is a state of emergency here in NJ and most roads are impassable with some cars trapped since last night on the highways. The winds are still howling, Newark airport had gusts over 50 mph and should continue thru tonight. The wind chill is 7! The weatherman said that by Saturday we will hit 50 degrees. Now to settle down with the rest of Sunday's NY Times and a bowl of hot soup. There's heat and power so I can hunker down till the roads are plowed. Glad I'm retired!

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 12-27-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: grammar
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote