Thread: Dreary Weather
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishelmeis View Post
two - 9 and 4.

we have so many projects that we are seriously contemplating NOT going home for the first week of school! i'm struggling w/ the three-day week, esp. since my older child has the same teacher, class, and kids as last year (looping, i think it what it's called).

thanks for the welcome. we LOVE it here!!!! going to love it even more once our fixer-upper is a little more, um, fixed!
Two of the rules for my kids went like this.... 1. "If school is in session, you are in school." 2. "If I hear from a teacher, you will hear from me." The two oldest went to Harvard and one of those to Stanford Business etc. No one got pregnant or did drugs etc.

Children look to their parents to know the difference between right and wrong. You would also be amazed to see how much more you appreciate your parents as you get older.

I am a bit biased in this case of skipping the first week of school as I taught 4th grade for three years after college. I think I would have found it hard to understand why a student was off working on his summer camp instead of being in school. Why start the year off on the wrong foot with the teacher, who will most likely grumble to the other teachers and perhaps the principal?

A lot happens in the first week of school.

I am glad you are loving you new home. When you are older you will remember these days fondly. You are lucky to have been able to purchase a home when the kids are small as I said before. Your family will have tons of fun as well as tons of work. A nine year old does quite well with a paint brush etc. Let them have a part in what you are doing and take pictures. It will be such fun to look back on this time later on.

Many parents walk their young children past my home on the way to the nearby school and see me out gardening. They want to know how the school is etc. I say the two things to want from a child are, !. Stay Alive and 2. "Try to be happy." Rarely is there a yearbook without a dedication to a lost classmate. Having a camp at the lake will bring much happiness into the lives of you and your family. Good luck and let me know how things go.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote