View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 05:07 AM   #39
ApS

Question Just another isolated incident...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I'd have issued a safety broadcast on the VHF.

'All vessels in the vicinity of X, be advised there is a sailboat underway and showing no lights. Heading towards Y. Caution is recommended.'
Is anybody listening out there? I unplugged my porch's VHF, as I heard nothing on it for weeks. (Except for NOAA weather, which includes a "gal's voice" who says clou-w-w-w-dy in a very annoying manner )

But here's why I would have first advised the NHMP:

1) The boat could have come adrift from dockage or mooring with the sails up—without the owner's knowledge. (Look around your location at dawn, to see just how common a practice this is).

2) The boat could have a skipper who'd fallen with a disabling condition—and needing help.

3) The helmsman may have a reason to go unobserved at night, which could involve a criminal matter best handled by the NHMP!

A big mistake, but I sailed over to Diamond Island (and Samoset) Saturday. The wind died as soon as I got there but I still enjoyed four hours floating around with only two of "the usual suspects" seen between 9-AM and about 1-PM.

There are at least two sailboats at those locations which could have just left their dock (or mooring—in the case of Samoset). Maybe discuss with those owners regarding this "incident"?

Last edited by ApS; 08-16-2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Sunday was blustery, with difficult sailing. "Blow-downs" may happen Sunday. Some boats may capsize. :(
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote