View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 AM   #32
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Good thread Dan with many good ideas.

About 3 years ago, following the example of our neighbors in common, we bought inflatable PFDs like what the MP use and we wear them whenever under way. They are light weight and very unobtrusive. You almost forget you have them on but all you have to is pull that yellow handle and you are ready for the water.

We know that a boat can go under very fast so in a mishap we can be calling 911 rather than dealing with getting a PFD on. If we have passengers we can focus on helping them especially if it is the grandchildren. It is pretty hard to help others if you are going under yourself.
Excellent point that I bolded above.
I was thinking about this. I own a PWC so this doesn't really apply to me. But if I owned a boat, I would make sure that my passengers knew what to do in the event of an accident in which I became uncapacitated. In other words, we are cruising along and I hit a rock, and I get knocked out cold. The boat is taking on water, and the passengers need to get themselves to safety. Do they know where to find the PFDs? Do they know how to get help? Etc.

My point is...make sure you give your passengers an idea on what to do...just in case.