View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
ApS

Question "Wake" Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Quote:
"...Everyone was later taken to a Tuftonboro residence by Goodhue and Hawkins Marine which will be recovering the vessel along with Dive Winnipesaukee..."
Manchester Union Leader
Even after waiting all morning...after lunch, I still waited for some "easier winds" to finally get out on the water. Later in the afternoon, a kayaking neighbor and several other sailboats (a Sunfish, two Lasers, a Flying Dutchman Jr., and two Hobie-cats) convinced me the wind couldn't be all that bad.

After setting sail, the breeze gradually increased through about an hour—but at the moment I decided to call it quits—I saw a low-riding Malibu in the calm area immediately off Bill Marriott's personal residence. (In Tuftonboro).

I said to myself:

Quote:
"Holy-moly, that could be mistaken for a kayak—it was so low in the water!"
Yes, Malibus sit low in the water—this one was even more remarkable!(Mebbe in New Jersey and Maine, they are also required to fly a red flag all the time).

('Didn't count heads yesterday, but today the wind is even stronger, and kept all the other sailboats at the dock!)

---------------------------------------

I note that it is being called a "wake boat": One "wake boat" I've seen was used for "wake-surfing". Wake-surfers use a 12-foot tow-rope!

I noticed one "wake boat" deliberately flooded compartments/bilge to increase the wake size. (And pile passengers astern—over the engine compartment).

It took several minutes for the pump to send their liquid ballast out from both sides of the boat! Now I'm wondering if that could've been the problem yesterday.

Anyway, I hope they don't recover this boat's loudspeakers.

Last edited by ApS; 08-16-2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Just to add that I have a premonition that a Cobalt will make a sad headline.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote