View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 AM   #61
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateT View Post
I work at a school by the lake and can tell you that we have been dealing with these varmints for more than a decade. I have washed the poop off of team benches, timing table and docks. Ever seen a lacrosse player go for a ground ball and come up with goose poop? Pretty disgusting!

We have tried various and wholly ineffective strategies. The stupidest idea that I tried was Mylar balloons. Cost a lot and worked for about 15 minutes. We beg dog owners to stop by - again, about 15 minutes of success. I would use my Remington 32 but would not want to put lead shot into the lake. Also, would not want to deal with the carcasses. Personally, $1 would not be a motivator as the shells would cost about $.30 each. And I don't want to deal with dead birds on the shore or in the lake.

I found the comment about birds on Back Bay having been "removed" recently to be interesting. We haven't had a problem in the last week or two.I'm thinking that this is the best solution - and humane.
The Weirs Times this week has a good article on controlling Canada Geese. It states that NH has 30,000 resident geese ( those that stay here year round and do not migrate). The optimal population should be 16,000. If your interested in learning more about the geese you might want to pick-up the free paper.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote