View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #41
Mark

Question Duncan Map buoy numbering system on all spars. How do you use them?

The Duncan map has numbers on almost all 700 buoys on Lake Winnipesaukee. Their web site says these make it easy to locate you when you use the number of the buoy you are near. They are not talking about the 84 numbered Flashing Light buoys but the red tops, black tops and channel markers.

If I call for help and say I'm right near marker number 231, where am I? How will you or the safety services or Marine Patrol easily find me? I don't understand this.

Copied today from HERE Duncan says, "To repeat: the buoy numbers aren't on the buoys themselves, just on the charts.

Nonetheless, the fellow out of gas will be able to call his boatowner's service and, with his chart, simply say "I'm right around number seven-sixty-seven." The person on the other end will use his computer or GPS to look up the number (the name of the lake is part of the number, as is the location and buoy-type), and, in seconds, land on the approximate coordinate of the "victim."
QED!"

QED means 'Thus It Has Been Proved'. What did they prove and how did they do it?

Meanwhile on Bizer's web site copied today from HERE they say, "Q06> Why doesn't Bizer number all the buoys?

A> In an email dated 19-Apr-06, the NH Marine Patrol advised Bizer,
The MP is not numbering spar buoys. I am aware that Duncan Press numbered a Newfound Chart, however that was their doing. We have no plans to mark spars with any numbers at this time.

In an email dated 30-Apr-06, addressed to Bizer and Duncan Press, The Marine Patrol said, in part,
In addition, we are not using buoy numbers except for the flashing light buoys, and do not intend to use or mark spar buoys with numbers."

Is this another example of misinformation from Duncan Press or what?
What did Duncan Press prove?