View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs down Duncan's Hey Look Over There Tactic at Bizer - Not Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que View Post
Duncan says (see above page) that they finally respond to a "racket" - well, I'm making a "racket" as the subtle (and less subtle) methods have not worked to achieve results and accuracy. You think I like lambasting them? I don't. This thread was prompted by their "challenge" last July - concentrating on Bizer rather than their own Duncan Press info.

I carry BOTH Bizer and Duncan maps on board the Sea Que. The map all by itself is OK although I prefer the Bizer map. What really gets me is the Duncan Press attitude and lack of corrections on their web site. Boaters and visitors deserve accurate information and not just hype. Duncan is not paying attention - skewing information. Claiming they get some info from a Marine Patrol "secret agent" (Bizer doesn't have a 007 source) - it's hype. Bragging about their advisers from Oregon. Now claiming a "NEW LOOK" for their map which hasn't changed in FIVE years - more hype.

I don't like the speed limit law but it is the law and therefore the current information should be conveyed to the boating public. We often complain about Capt Bonehead who ignores or doesn't know the rules. For instance, if Capt B. relies only on Duncan's map and web info then they can't know what the speed limit law is - they can't know all the places rafting is restricted are 2 prime examples. Do you condone that or should it be brought to the attention of all until it is fixed?

Sure, listing the US Coast Guard instead on NH Marine Patrol as the group conducting free classes at MP HQ is not going to cause a boating mishap - it IS indicative of what I consider a lack of attention to detail, particularly since they have been informed about these errors for OVER A YEAR! (end rant for now)

Am I the only one bothered by a presumed Lake authority that doesn't present current and accurate info on their web site? If so, I'll bite my lip and shut up. Otherwise, I'll help build the "racket" it seems to take to get them to respond.
You are not the only one bothered. With something so important as a lake map, it simply must be accurate. Your boat and perhaps your life may depend upon it.

Like Al, we also carry both Bizer and Duncan maps on our boat. That is how I learn the lake, following along while underway - R-Guy has his and I have mine. The look of the Duncan map is quite pleasing, but I would never count on it as I do the Bizer map.

The topless little girl photograph on their website bothers me greatly. I'm no prude, but it is completely inappropriate an should be removed.

I hope this thread gets Duncan on the ball to fix their maps and website. Thanks Skipper for getting this started. Duncan should be challenged to be the best they can be. A few tweaks on their part and problem should be solved.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post: