View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #38
Gilligan

Post Walking up to the drive thru ATM and HP docks comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Actually they put braille on those machines because not only do people drive up to them, but in many locales they receive quite a bit of business from folks that walk up and use the machines. ...
Thanks Skip. It is nice to see you posting again. Your insight has been missed.

Many drive-thru ATMs have signs that prohibit walk up service. I think it is due to safety issues. I did not think about sight impaired back seat passengers like trfour mentioned. I would also guess it is easier to mass produce all the keypads with braille instead of manufacturing and stocking two different products. I think it is just plain cheaper to produce one keypad that includes the braille.

I should learn the braille system because some of the paint for letters and numbers has worn off of some of the keypads at well used ATMs but the braille bumps are still there.

The Wolfeboro handicap dock does not seem to have any accommodations for handicapped people. Not even shade from hot sun or cover from rain or a drinking water fountain. I do not see the benefit. Maybe they will put in a braille ATM on the dock .