View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #28
townsde

Default Whips and Spring Lines

I have a 24 foot Four Winns and I am using Monarch 18 foot whips on it. I thought the triangle shown in the earlier posts was what I call spring lines. Run one spring line from the bow to the dock aft of the boat and another spring line from the stern to the dock forward of the bow. Then I use a seperate bow line and stern line tied perpendicular to the dock. The whips keep the boat off the dock. The spring lines keep it from moving forward or backward. The bow and stern lines are extra insurance in case something breaks. This is working great so far with no problems.

I also have an 18 foot bass boat which I use 12 foot Monarch whips on it with the same system. It is on the leeward side of the dock and takes more wind and waves when the wind is from the northwest. I have to set the whips so it is farther from the dock to keep it from hitting the dock.

I like the Morarch whips because the bracket with them is adjustable and can be set at different angles depending on how far you want to keep your boat from the dock.

Once all the lines are set you do not have to re adjust them each time.

I dont know how I would keep the boats at the dock from being destroyed without the whips.
townsde is offline   Reply With Quote