View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
If the Wolfeboro PTB deign to respond might I ask that you ask () what the wording of Chap 36, Sec 5, of the Town Code entitled 'Limitations on the use of Town docks, wharves, and ramps' specifically says. From the older thread on this topic it was supposed to be amended as follows:

"No boats, as defined in RSA 279:2, shall be docked in that area of the Town Docks designated as accessible docking, unless such boat displays a windshield placard issued under RSA 261:88 OR displays the international symbol of access.

Docking spaces designated as accessible shall be marked in accordance with the provisions of RSA 265:73-a, by affixing signs to posts, docks, or other areas so as to be clearly visible to anyone approaching the area by boat.

The accessible docking area shall be utilized only if a person with a disability is being transported in or is operating a boat to or from the docking area.

Any person convicted under this section shall be fined not less than $250.00"

Which to me indicates that Wolfeboro is enforcing a more strict set of rules than required by the ADA. As I've indicated before, the intent of the ADA rule wrt docking was to ensure access and use by disabled people. It wasn't intended to create a reserved set of slips. That's why the act uses the wording accessible vs reserved. If every slip at the town docks met the ADA requirements for accessibility then there would be no need for any reserved slips nor and signage. If only a few slips meet the accessibilty req's then there may be need for signage but again, as I've mentioned before, these aren't reserved for handicap people soley, they can be used (at least per the ADA) by the rest of us after the other slips become full. If Wolfeboro were to use this piece of commonsense then I bet very few would object.

I might ask that you ask () why Wolfeboro is persuing a more restricitive role than is required by the ADA.

If they even bother to respond.
Something to keep in mind is that if the town issues the $250 ticket, they also have to collect it. It's not a state statute so the town is on their own to enforce and collect any fine.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote