View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #11
Airwaves

Originally posted by SOD
Quote:
I would imagine those "mechanical devices" might be helpful family members who also might have pulled the family car into close range of said handicapped spot. C'mon, give some older person a break...why be so negative towards someone who is trying to get by (and just barely)on a day to day basis.
Actually no.

I have a nephew with a neuromuscular disease who is confined to a wheelchair and as he grows older and larger his muscular ability deminishes! He sits (lives) in a 300lb electric wheelchair. Family members are not lifting him out of the boat at the Wolfeboro Docks! He needs a lift at our dock to get him and his only source of mobility, his chair, in and out of the boat.

Handicapped does not mean someone with a limp!

So if Wolfeboro is going to have a handicapped only docking space then the town needs to make sure it can actually accomidate a handicapped person with all the baggage that comes with being handicapped.

Putting up a sign doesn't cut it and since NH law does not provide for handicapped bow numbers it is nothing more than feel good crap. Sound familiar?
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Airwaves For This Useful Post: