View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #20
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...863/-1/CITIZEN
New article on boat accident. Anyone want to guess the outcome based on what has happened so far?

Give me a break - I have been quiet about this but I finally have to make my comments.

I attended the boat show in Milford on 4/10 and had a chance encounter with Erica Blizzard. Oh Boy!

BTW the show was good

So now we have Erica Blizzard the 2nd person (family member) associated with a marina on Winnipesaukee convicted of negligent homicide in a boating accident on the lake in recent time. As I said above Erica was at the Great Northeast Boat show on the 10th. She even said hi as she passed me. (honestly a good business practice) Never met her before or know her. Her lawyer wants her to not serve any prison time because of her injuries and that it might kill her if she were in prison and had another facial injury plus the business may suffer if she is in prison. People could even loose their jobs. WHAT????

Erica sure had plenty of energy as she was walking across the floor into Lakeport Landings display area. No impediment, breathing or other issues did I notice. Even with her facial injuries, which are severe, it appears that she can function just fine. So I see no reason for her not to serve her time like anyone else would – of course I wait to see exactly what the judge hands down for her sentence. And on top of that I so far have seen no real remorse from her and I wait to see what she does at her sentencing. Erica does have money unlike some people who have little or none and go to prison. She can afford to pay for her own continuing medical care if she does go to prison. We the citizens of NH did not cause her injuries and should not pay for them if she goes to prison.

On the business side which the lawyer brought up: The stigma associated with a senior management and/or family member still working at a company after being convicted of a crime such as this can destroy a business. People will say we support you but in reality people back away from the convicted people and their business. And yes, I have seen this done another time involving another family and the boating death of a child on a lake not far from Winni in the 90’s. The convicted operator of that boat was removed from his family business because they could not chance even the perception that their working at the company would keep the tragedy and conviction in the customer’s eyes and thus keep people away from the business. In this case it caused a rift in the family too. Littlefield is no longer associated with Shep Brown’s but was before his conviction. He now lives outside of New England after serving his sentence.

BTW I do believe in giving a person a 2nd chance at being a productive member of society after being convicted and sentenced of a crime. Erica does deserve that but only after she has served whatever sentence is handed down by the court. I do believe Erica deserves to serve jail time for the negligent homicide. The other 2 convicted boat operators I mentioned here served their prison and parole time so why not her. Sorry if a prison sentence destroys her business but that is a result of her actions and no one else’s and she should have thought of that before the 1st drink, starting the boat or going out on the lake that night. As a business owner you are always in the public’s eye and judgment both pro and con and must be cognizant of that at all times

So that is how I see it. JMHO.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post: