View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #60
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
I have stayed out of this conversation but I couldn't agree more alsadad. Is this really what our state is being portrayed as?

NH's #1 economic resource is tourism. Why is it that some treat people from out of state as evil? Why are they made to feel un-welcome. My family has owned property in the state of 17 years, vacationed here for over 33 years and because I loved what NH has to offer I have been a resident and taxpayer for over 5 years.

NH as a whole, not only the lakes region, is a beautiful state with so much to offer. A great place to vacation, live and raise a family.

So many people complain about taxes, property, llc taxes, fees, registration etc etc..... Well those will only get worse if people who want to come to the state and bring out of state dollars to spend, are keep being made to feel as unwelcome and the enemy. Especially when the our economy is dependant on out of staters.

I for one want to thank BSS for considering vacationing here and I would be happy to personally show you around the lake when you come up in August. The lake is a natural treasure that is enjoyed by all, not only residents of NH, or those that some would consider as "NH natives".

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to meet up. I would be happy to show you around or answer any questions you may have.

Happy Boating and Welcome to NH!
Guys, it really has nothing to do with the people from out of state and it has nothing to do with the tourists from out of state. What happens is when someone comes into an area that has made way more money than the locals and builds a house that is valued at 6-10 times the median value of any home around it, it makes everyones taxes go up, thus making the lower income earning locals lives even harder because they can no longer afford to live in their homes. And the more homes that are built this way, the worse it gets. Locals are being priced out of their own areas.

This is not just a NH/Mass thing, Maine has this issue, VT has this issue, basically anywhere that you have a major hub of business that is within 4 hours of someplace fun to play at, you are going to have this problem. Look at what is happening in Pittsburg, the mass development up there has happened within the last 15 years, family that has had camps up there for over 60 years have sold out because the taxes on a shack are almost as much as they are on the primary house.

Its not that the people are not nice, it is more of a feeling that we are being evicted from our own homes so that someone else has a place to play. Not everyone has the option to work in a major city and make twice what we would around here, some of us do not care how much money we have or have figured out how to make money in the area that they live. I will also say that not everyone is nice, and many look very far down their noses at the locals, the college and high school aged kids are probably giving everyone a bad name, some of those kids are down right stuck-up. I have a very nice private boarding school in my town and I could share some stories that if their parent understood how they acted, I would hope that they would not appriciate it.

It's a frustration thing more than anything else, we are also at the point now where we are starting to lose the traditions that the folks of this area have been participating in for generations. But yet all we can do is complain, while our new neighbors are trying to fix things for us. But, progress is progress and with the amount of people living in this country, it is bound to get worse, the least we can do is enjoy your money when it gets spent here and have a drink with you.

This is not a Winnipesaukee only event, it is all over the state.

But if you really wanted to know, there you have it, and no I am not resentful, I am one of the ones that have figured out how to make a great living staying local and I work on waterfront property enough to know that I would not want to live there full time, its too damn windy!

Anyway, come on up and enjoy yourself, the area has alot to offer and most of us are very nice.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post: