View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #42
Phantom

you will not be dissapointed with the Center Harbor Inn --we've had friends stay there many different times. I do caution however, (you mentioned in yoiur post) other than the Mills Falls/Church Landing complex there really isn't any 5 star establishments -- and we like it that way -- keeps it quaint. Don't get me wrong, you'll get 5 star service, but most of the establishments are not equipped with sauna's, day spa's, et al (except the aforementioned). For what you explained, the Cntr Harbor Inn will be great. Easy launch, hotel is next to ramp for vehicle parking, and by car you are very close to Merideth for dinners out and boutique shopping.

Words of caution--

(1) You must have an active State issued (home state will surfice) boating certificate to boat anywhere in NH.

(2) There is no "sleeping aboard" allowed on Winni other than at "Yacht Clubs". Center Harbor Inn is not one.

(3) you are obviously familiar with Bizer, I highly recommend getting a chart early to familiarize yourself with the somewhat different and challenging (for newcomers, seasoned boaters or not) navigation. A GPS download would be in order too-- specific to Winni, not the East Coast general map.

(4) I have to presume you all have VHF's -- Marine Patrol actively monitors channell 16 and they are always on the lake. Downloading their landline to your cell would be advisable as well.

You will love the lake, it's a great place with lots of boating exploration. You can literally spend days riding and find new areas to explore, anchor, and swim. We've been vacationing here (40-50 days per season) for over 20 years now and contrary to your unfortunate "First experiance" we've always found 99% of the people quite firendly and hospitipal. I apologize (and I'm not even a local) for your experiance when looking for information, including here with some of my fellow forum contributors. It's apalling and NOT the true nature of the "Lakes Region" and once you visit you will experiance that for yourself. There's a 1% wherever you travel in the world!!

Enjoy, and if I can be of any further help please do not hesitate to PM me through the site.

P.S --Second week of August should be a PERFECT time to visit. the weather is usually awesome and best of all the Lake has warmed up to it's near highest water temp (takes the chill outta the water for the ladies )