View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #59
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Maybe this conversation should be put in its own thread,
I am not a "stamped" engineer, if that is your question. But I have qualifications, experience and education that would bring a salary in the 60's+ in the private sector if I were to choose to go that route, which I obviously don't (I have had the offers). I am not complaining about my compensation, there are other things important to me and they pick up what I perceive as the "slack", but I do get unhappy with the opinion that public sector employees are on the "gravy train" and are not worth our compensation (in general, as a group). I do think the compensation packages have changed over the last 5 or 10 years and much of what is seen as "outrageous compensations" are the tail end of contracts made long ago. As to the cost of living raises, one year forgone isn't going to send anyone onto skid row, but please try to keep in mind that the cost of living raises never are as much as the cost of living index when it goes UP, and there are no bonuses or merit raises, ever, as is typical in the private sector.
You answered the question without answering the question. So your a electrical engineer, mechanical engineer? You have a four year degree (at least) that reads "Bachelors degree in _______ Engineering?" I'm not an engineer but deal with them every day at work. Some make 40,000 and many make in the middle 80's a year. Here it depends on age, experience, schooling, etc.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote