View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #46
VtSteve

As mostly a Republican, I have never felt the requisite desire to commend Bush for what I think was "mostly" an embarrassing Presidency. We have people bashing Obama right out of the blocks, people saying it's been a year, so it's not fair to blame Bush anymore. But it's ok to use Clinton after all these years? Grow up voters!

If anybody has read the history books and speeches with references since 1995, you'd know all about Phill Gramm (AKA Enron Phil), and you'd also know more about Bush's huge push and leverage used to deregulate and relax mortgage guidelines and increase bank lending.

You'd also know about Gramm's successful push to get rid of banking legislation. If you doubt that, look up the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, it has his name written all over it

I'm not an Obama basher, nor particularly supportive so far. I find him lacking in leadership. But if we are ever to rebuild the Republican party, we must look at facts, not talking points and hearsay. I remember something vividly that an old codger once told me.

"DC can turn good people into bad people, and make relatively sharp people look stupid. But with voters, they don't even have to leave home to suffer these ill-effects."