Thread: Ethanol
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #21
Airwaves

Originally posted by hancoveguy
Quote:
Okay, here's one for you... We have read about the possible benefits of sta bil vs. startron. No where has anyone specified if the sta bil they were talking about was the regular sta bil (red) or the marine (blue) formula sta bil. It is my understanding that the marine sta bil is better or more powerful or more effiecient than the red sta bil. I have been using excessive amounts of marine sta bil with every fill up on the lake this summer (100% of the time I fill up at Melvin Village- valvtech) and have no negative results, coincidence or is it truly helping who knows. I do know I have been using the blue marine sta bil in my 96 Harley and my atv's and have no issues thus far.

Would be curious to hear the forum's thoughts on Blue Marine Sta Bil issue...
I have been using the Sta-bil formulated for ethanol. I believe it is blue, not the sta-bil I have used to store my lawnmower and snowthrower (now I'll be adding the Sta-bil formulated for ethanol there as well). I have been told that you can't over use the Sta-bil or Star-tron and I add it to every fill up.

I don't believe Star-tron has any alcohol.

I asked my mechanic about ValvTech and they said that while a stabilizer to combat the effects of ethanol is used you can't always be sure how much is used in the fuel you are getting. I guess it depends on who mixes it into their tanks. Some tests (I am told by my mechanic) have shown a low percentage of additive while others high. He did say he has had a number of boats in this season from people using ValvTech and no other additives.

Originally posted by LakeSnake
Quote:
If you are going to use the gas within about two months then there is really no need to use an additive - but a lot of people do anyway (including my self) just to be on the safe side (it won't hurt).
Several marina operators and some articles I have read suggest that the phase separation begins after just two or three WEEKS! That's why I add it at every fill up and keep the tank full when I know I am not going to use the boat for awhile.

Last edited by Airwaves; 08-26-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Comments about ValvTech
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote