View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #34
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow PWCs with lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I suspect that the reason PWCs (Pronounced: "Pwicks") don't have running lights has more to do with physical size of the vessel and convenience of installing lights on it, than anything else. Part of the LAW says the "All Around" white light has to be at least 3.3 feet (0ne meter) above the combination red/green lights. There is probably a horizontal minimum distance between the two as well. Where would you put that mast where it would not be a safety hazard to the rider..who might "slide" off the seat inadvertently, or otherwise "dismount". Woo Woo...

Maybe a look at the actual Law as opposed to the Boating Handbook, would reveal more about powered vessels UNDER a certain length...as a category, rather than "PWC". Just wondering. NB
I don't think there is any reg re: horizontal spacing between the sidelights and an all-around light. The reg I recall is that boats must have sidelights (red/green) a masthead light that shines forward and 22.5 deg past abeam and is at least 1M above the sidelights and a stern light shining aft and somewhat abeam (to the above 112.5 deg). For boats under ~40' the masthead and stern lights may be replaced with a single all-around light, 1M above the sidelights. So I think a 3 person PWC with an all-around light high enough would meet the regs. Frankly I see a lot of boats, including the McRibs, that don't appear to meet the 1M vertical rule. So long as the all-around light is visible 360 deg at all times I'm sure you wouldn't be written up. As to where and how to mount said light ... the ones I saw had them mounted on a pole just aft of the seat, just where a tow pole would go.