View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
ApS

Post It's a Weekend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3 View Post
"...(it says rental on the side) on the wrong side of marker at FL1...I end up being flustered and am sure i look like a bonehead...!"
Many cottage rentals begin and end on a Saturday.

The renters are usually unpacking and relaxing lakeside on Saturday, and may not pick up their rental boats until Sunday. I'd guess most are totally unfamiliar with their rental boat and, if from out of the state, are also unfamiliar with the "Unsafe Passage" rule. My abutting three-in-a-row rental cottages have all been "one-week-rentals", with most having the same brand of boat.

This one brand of boat is a brand unnoticed previously by me. Nearly all have an inventory number on the right transom. All are white in color. (Hint: the brand begins with the letter "E").

You're not the only one flustered: Sometimes, to avoid a swamping from an oversized wake, I've had to turn 180° right away to avoid becoming a flush-to-the-gunwhales speed bump.

While I'm not really 100% comforted with others' observance of the 150' rule—and that my sailboat nearly always has the right of way—it can still make for a flustering day for me and for others.