View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
ApS

Exclamation All Those For Bringing Anarchy Back to Winnipesaukee...SAY AYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
"...The smarter ones also tend to try to improve their skills and knowledge, since the basic operation comes easily..."
1) All you need is a key. (And a big loan).

2) Too bad nobody here avails themselves of the traveling high-speed-high-performance training courses—such as Tres Martin's School in Performance Boating.

Quote:
"...There's also people who simply lack these skills..."
Every GFBL speedster "drives" their boat at an "above-average" skill level. (Don'cha'know).

Quote:
"...Sadly, many of them get injured or die in easily preventable motorcycle accidents..."
That the operator dies has NOT been the case on Winnipesaukee.

Quote:
"...I have not really noticed a difference, but I boat almost exclusively on weekdays. ..."
1) Try living (and observing) here weekdays and weekends. There's this perception issue of our "trailer-boaters".

2) As you probably read previously, I instruct race car drivers on various closed tracks.

Some, I'm happy to say, have gone on to instruct other drivers.

3) Thanks to my use of a CD as a sun-reflecting warning device, I not only can venture out on weekends again, I'm also training those "hob-nailed" boaters to respect those of us who boat "in sandals".

Quote:
"...I'm not really convinced of this either, but..."
How about inviting 4˝-ton boats to your choice of "retirement lake"?

Quote:
"...In my experience, the lake at it's worst crowd-wise, is still a very mellow place to boat compared to other places I've boated..."
Yup. To counter that perception, we should bring their mayhem and anarchy to this lake...

Quote:
"...If boating on Winnipesuakee prior to the speed limit HONESTLY did scare some people, perhaps those same people lack the skills to boat safely. Can't help but wonder if these formerly frightened people are some of the same Captain Boneheads I keep hearing about. Kinda fits, no?
No.

Among this lake's worst—and most publicized—collisions was a result of a highly skilled, highly educated, and well-known "driver", who was concurrently employed in the GFBL field.

That hit-and-run occurred just prior to the 9/11 attack, which erased it from the Lakes Region's headlines and forums.

Quote:
"...That said, I'm sure there are plenty of skilled people out there who simply don't care about boating safely. I bet they'd be a large percentage of Captain Boneheads as well.
The Captain Boneheads out there are probably operating "over their heads": Some "drive" GFBLs.

And, as you undoubtedly know from motorcycle instruction, the faster one travels, the narrower the perception is taken of the course of travel***.

(Speed being the sole point of this sub-forum).

(***Or waypoint).